Friday, June 26, 2015

a caveat.

This blog has been mine for a few years now, and there are many old posts recorded here. I am beginning to write again, but I would like to give warning for the curious. Please be careful how and what you read from those things posted before 2015. I am not taking down those old blog posts because history cannot be erased, and because I believe there is still truth in them. However, they were written in a dark and heavy time in my life, with a dark and heavy spirit. You may notice as you read them, if you choose to do so, that the person writing sounds desperate, orphaned, cynical, or hopeless. I have infinite compassion for the author of those posts, and infinite compassion for anyone who identifies with them.

Another reason to keep them has to do with stories. Human beings create community by storytelling. It’s been like that since forever, and it was part of how the Bible got written. We need stories. The children of Israel learned the faithfulness of God by hearing the blunders of their elders and tribe and seeing the Lord’s response. Many of you have seen his response to me, and written here are some of my blunders. We tell the old, old stories to remember, to create a culture, to unify a body of people whose history cannot bring them together if they don’t know it. And so I will leave my history where it is, and I will tell my present. I will set them down as stories, and I will ask the Lord to weave his faithfulness into my words for those who need to learn how to see it, and who learn best by example.

No comments:

Post a Comment